Here are some helpful tips and recipes to help keep you feeling cool from the inside out!
First, if you are filling up your glasses with more ice cubes than water, stop there! Although it’s tempting, consuming ice cold drinks will make your body work harder in the digestion process. Working harder = more heat. Room temperature water is the best choice for cooling yourself down while hydrating (add cucumbers and fresh mint for extra benefits and cooling properties!)
There are many foods that can help cool our bodies down through the summer months. Seasons play a large role in Ayuvedic practices, during which the foods we consume help to balance our doshas through out the year. These two variations of a cooling smoothie will help to lower our body temperature and help correct any pitta (the dosha related to heat/fire) related discomforts - and they taste great!
Melon, Mint + Cucumber Smoothie
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 2 cups cantaloupe chunks (from about 1/4 large cantaloupe)
- 1 cup finely chopped kale or baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3/4 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional)
Blend until smooth.
- 1/2 fresh ripe cantaloupe (feel free to add or combine any of your favorite melons)
- 1/2 cup water or almond milk
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander powder
Blend all ingredients together well in a blender.