Taste (Rasa): Pungent, Bitter, Astringent
Energetics (Virya): Heating
Doshic Effects: Pacifying for Vata and Kapha; small amounts soothing for Pitta
Benefits & Use: Turmeric may be the most effective nutritional supplement of all. In its root form, it contains compounds called curcuminoids, the most important of which is curcumin — the main active ingredient in turmeric — which has powerful anti-inflammatory effects and is a strong antioxidant. As curcumin is poorly absorbed into the bloodstream, it is best when consumed with black pepper which contains piperine, a natural substance that enhances the absorption of curcumin.
Additional Uses: Dandruff; swimmer's ear; natural die (hair, fabric)
In the Kitchen: The amount of turmeric that you need to receive health benefits is not very much. While researchers are accustomed to looking at countries like India where intake of turmeric often reaches a level of 1-2 grams per day, studies show potential health benefits at much lower amounts; as little as 50 milligrams a day — an amount equivalent to approximately 1/50th of a teaspoon — over a period of several months has been linked with health benefits.
- 2 cups carrot
- 1 1/2 cups filtered water
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 cup frozen or fresh pineapple
- 1/2 tb fresh ginger (1 small knob, peeled)
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tb lemon juice (~ 1/2 small lemon)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Make carrot juice by adding carrots and filtered water to a high speed blender and blending on high until completely pureed and smooth. Add more water if trouble blending and scrape down sides as needed
- Drape a large, thin dish towel over a mixing bowl and pour the juice over the towel. Then lift up on the corners of the towel and begin twisting and squeezing the juice out until all of the liquid is extracted. Set aside pulp.
- Transfer carrot juice to a mason jar - will keep for several days, though best when fresh.
- To the blender add banana, pineapple, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, almond milk and pulp and blend on high until creamy and smooth. Add more carrot juice or almond milk as needed for desired consistency.
- Divide between two glasses and serve. Best when fresh.